Monday, September 12, 2011

Homeschooling Days!

Are you a home schooled? Do you home school your children? What are you most memorable days of homeschooling? I can remember two special days we had at our home school, We had around the world day, where each student learned about another country, wrote a report, cooked a food from that country, prepared an oral report, and tried to dress in some sort ot traditional clothing. We invited the grandmother's over for Around the World Day! The children really enjoyed it. They put together posters of famous land marks, traditional dress, animals of the region, etc. One daughter represented China and made Egg Drop soup, another daughter represented Ireland and made Irish soda Bread, my third daughter represented Germany and made Apple Strudel. My sons represented Great Britain and Scotland. They made Earl Grey Tea and Scottish Short bread. It was a memorable day for all. The grandmother's tasted the food and looked at their displays and listened to their reports. I assigned the report in early October and Around the World Day was in mid January. It gave them plenty of time to work on their reports and learn a whole bunch in the process. Another time we transformed our garage into a Creation Museum. They again learned about a certain subject and created a display of what they were learning about. The children learned about, the Solar System and hung paper mache planets from the ceiling. They also learned about Amphibians and insects they created posters of the life cycle of an amphibians and posters detailing the parts of an insect. They also had their pet frog on display in his habitat. My sons made posters of Whales and Dolphins, and had whale songs playing in the back ground. They also had their plastic whales and dolphins on display. My oldest daughter made posters and diagrams showing the geographical details of the Atlantic ocean, namely the continental Shelf and the mid Atlantic Ridge. We had family come and see our museum that too was allot of fun. Well those are two of my most memorable days of homeschooling. However special those days were, I can also remember the quite winter days when we studied at the kitchen table as the snow outside piled up deep. We would make hot tea and cocoa and watch the cardinals, wood peckers and chickadees at the bird feeders. I can remember making crafts with them and hanging them up all over our home. I really loved homeschooling them, because I really loved spending all that time with them. I am thankful to God for the opportunity to do so. I love you all, my children.

1 comment: